Are We There Yet? - Road Trip Part Two

Nipigon, Ontario is a cute little town just outside of Thunder Bay. It has a Tim Hortons, Bargain Store, and even a small Canadian Tire. Unfortunately, we were located just before you get into the heart of little Nipigon. Just far enough to make us feel uneasy walking with the kids along the highway. So our only option was the Husky gas station directly across the road from the motel for all our necessities. With no vehicle our options were limited to this one joint. Attached to the gas station was the repair shop our truck got towed to the night before. Rob went to check in with the repair shop and hand over our keys while the girls and I went to the attached restaurant to order some breakfast. It was apparent that we would be spending the day, if not two days, there for sure. Letting the girls stack the creamers and reorganize the sugars, I looked around the restaurant, taking in my new home for the next while. I like to try and guess what the relationship is between people, what their purpose of eating at the Husky gas station might be. Is it travel or work? Maybe a local to the area? Positive or negative conversation? Anything to keep my mind busy and off the stress of figuring out how we are going to keep moving forward. Rob joined us then only to report that they are making room for the truck in the shop and will give us a call once they have a diagnosis. More waiting... The restaurant's breakfast was surprisingly good. The waitress was amazing with the girls. I love when people take the time to interact with the kids. Sometimes even a minute interacting with the waitress or making smiles at the stranger a couple tables down can really take some of the heat off us parents to keep them seated and happy. 

We headed back to the motel to book another night and do some exploring of the woods behind the motel to waste some time. Letting the kids blow off some steam, collecting rocks and twigs. Wasn't even noon before Rob was itching to get to the repair shop and check if they have had a chance to look at the truck yet. So he headed there by himself to pick up some lunch and check in. The girls and I stayed back, watched tv and coloured. We had no reception in our motel room due to it being kind of in a walk out basement. Rob got back with Chester Fried Chicken that literally dripped grease and the bad news, they still hadn't had a chance to look at the truck yet. They said they would call Rob in a couple hours. No one had a big appetite for the chicken so we all decided to go for a nap. Rob was on the phone most of nap time with the repair shop and our families. The repair shop finally got back to us and the damage was fixable but they could not get one part in till the Monday which was when Rob was supposed to start his new job. We started pricing out our options to go by bus, train, plane or rent a truck. Deciding that we would worry about getting the truck another day. Renting a truck ended up being the cheapest option because we had no choice but to bring his tools and our computer with us which was all in the trailer. The closest place to rent a truck was back in Thunder Bay. When we went for supper we purchased Greyhound bus tickets for all of us for the morning (because there was no way I was going to stay a minute longer at that motel then I had to). One more night and we would be back on the road once more.

Morning rolled around and we packed up everything in the camper and asked the owner if the trailer was okay there till we got back (not that we had much of a choice) and headed to the Husky for our last meal there. We got on the Greyhound without a hitch and the rental company came to pick us up at the bus stop in Thunder Bay, which was awesome. We got some lunch for the road and headed to pick up the trailer. By the time we got back to Nipigon it was already 2PM and we still had 6 hours of drive time. Little did I know at the time it was going to be way more then that. Rob has always been paranoid over fuel levels in the vehicle and I am quite the opposite. We were at half a tank and Rob was wanting to pull over to get gas. Every time we stop though the girls want out and it is such a big run around so even if we could put it off till a quarter tank that would be ideal. So we keep going and going. We went through Longlac and decide we will stop in the next town for sure. We were both starting to sweat a little as we had no service and could not predict what was ahead of us at all. BAM! A camper tire blew... why!? We pull over to change it out with the spare hoping to get to the next town. A guy pulled over to help Rob with the tire which was amazing and then he informed us there was no way we were going to make it to the next town with the amount of gas we had left. He said we would be lucky if we could even make it back the we came with the trailer docked. "Didn't you see the sign, No Gas Station For The Next 200km. ...?" No! If it wasn't already bad enough that we are behind a day we now have to back track and hope no one steals the trailer with all our stuff and loose a couple more hours. That is the last time I question Rob on fueling up.  We got a new tire for the camper, (the spare was in ROUGH shape!) fuel and a bite to eat. Finally back on the road and no one stole our camper or broke into it. Rob quickly took the bad spare off and put the new one on, hooked backed up and we were on our way, yay! We finally finished the day in Kapuskasing and hit up the Super 8 almost getting put on the 4th floor with the elevator being broke down. Luckily Rob caught that and we got switched to the second floor. Bringing luggage up four flights of stairs is not what you want to be doing at midnight with two tired kids.

One more day of driving and we made it in one piece only to catch the flu one after another. Rob ended up missing his first day of work anyways due to him hugging the toilet all day. Both my mom and I got it at the same time so we got to barf our guts out in front of the kids. Unfortunately everyone got it. Now we are just trying to get a normal routine going and we are so happy those first couple weeks are over! Thanks to everyone who helped us out along the way. It seems in a crisis you can see how generous and good some people are and how everyone went the extra mile to help get us here in one piece. Also a BIG shout out to Rob's grandparents who flew to Thunder Bay and drove Rob's truck back for us on Easter weekend to boot. We have seriously been blessed with the best family. Sorry for such a lengthy post, short and sweet next time... maybe.